Emanuel Friedman, MD received his MD degree from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York in 1976. He then completed a general surgery residency under the mentorship of one of the world’s preeminent cardiovascular surgeons, Dr. Frank Spencer, at Bellevue Hospital (1976-78). Dr. Friedman was recruited to the Harvard Program in Urology (Longwood Area) for his surgical sub-specialty training, where he worked with Dr. Ruben Gittes, a world renowned urologist (1978-82). During his urology residency, Dr. Friedman conducted research on the use of a new synthetic material, Gortex, to construct and repair ureters,the tube which transports urine from the kidney to the bladder.
Dr. Friedman joined the staff of MetroWest Medical Center in 1982 when he began his practice at MetroWest Urology. Dr. Friedman attends to patients at both MetroWest campuses. Dr. Friedman has been interviewed by local television stations as well as newspapers about some of the innovations he has brought to the practice of urology in the MetroWest area, including the 5-minute no-scalpel no-needle vasectomy, vasectomy reversals, and minimally invasive surgery. Other advances utilize the most recent techniques in reconstruction of the urogenital system, as well as evaluation and treatment of impotence and urinary incontinence. Dr. Friedman is a Diplomate of the American Board of Urology and was recertified in 1995 and recently in February 2005.
|Stephanie M. PenaPhysician’s Assistant||Carol DaughertyNurse Practitioner||Leonard Berkowitz Physician’s Assistant|
Experienced professionals in the field of urology, Stephanie, Len, and Carol bring a strong sense of professionalism, competence, and caring to the Metrowest Urology practice.
They assist with the following patient services:
- Evaluating all types of male and female urinary incontinence.
- Performing office-based urodynamic studies which are used in the diagnosis, assessment, and developing treatment plans for incontinence issues, as well as for over-active or non-functioning bladders.
- Extensive expertise in minimally invasive procedures for enlarged prostates, specifically transurethral microwave treatments (TUMT) performed in the office.
- Experience and expertise in evaluating many urological problems:
- cancer of the prostate
- cancer of the bladder
- kidney stones
- urinary incontinence—male & female
- various types of impotence (erectile dysfunction, ejaculatory dysfunction, premature ejaculation)